Quiz #3 – Mangroves & Intertidal Zones
1. Know all about RED MANGROVES: a) Where do they grow?; b) 5 facts about red mangroves; c) Why it is called a “pioneer species?”; d) Where do red mangroves grow?; e) What is their nickname?; f) What do we call their roots?
2. Know 4 facts about mangrove seedlings – and – what are they called?.
3. Know all about BLACK MANGROVES: a) Where they grow; b) What is interesting about their roots? c) How they get rid of salt; d) What the roots are called.
4. Be able to list 5 species that call mangroves “home.”
5. Mangroves in general: a) How they prevent erosion; b) How they improve water quality; c) What birds use their branches as rookeries.
6. Know about why it is illegal to cut down or prune mangroves.
7. Know all about INTERTIDAL ZONES: a) 3 reasons it is a hostile area for plants & animals; b) 3 ways that animals try to get out of the sun; c) 3 benefits of living there; d) 5 organisms that live there.