Quiz #6 -- Everglades & Hydroperiod Ecology
1. Hydroperiod Ecology: a) What is it? b) How many seasons are there? c) How much rainfall are we talking about?
2. Wet Season: a) Name 4 characteristics; b) What do birds do during the wet season?; c) How much rainfall?; d) What about detritus and “eutrophication?”
3. Dry Season: a) Name 4 characteristics; b) What do birds do during the dry season?; c) How much rainfall?; d) What happens to detritus & eutrophication?; e) What happens to the gene pool? Why is this a good thing in the long run?
4. Everglades National Park: a) When was it first designated as a National Park?; b) How wide is the river? c) How deep is the river? d) Why is the alligator called the “Keeper of the Everglades?”
5. Alligator babies: a) Temperature for males? b) Temperature for females? c) What body part is used by the baby to break out of the shell? d) Food sources for the baby alligator during the first few days? e) gestation period?
6. Gators VS Crocs: a) two characteristics of Gators; b) two characteristics of Crocodiles
7. Everglades Critters: a) Name 2 Everglades trees; b) Name 4 Everglades birds.