Study Guide for Weather Chapter #2 Test
- Know the percentage content of gases in earth’s atmosphere (What ARE the gases & what percent
of each one is found in the atmosphere?).
- Know what happens to gases when they are heated & cooled.
- Know the relationship between altitude & air density.
- Know the boiling and freezing point of water in Celsius & Fahrenheit.
- Know the relationship between wet bulb evaporation & relative humidity.
- Know the factors that affect an area’s temperature.
- Know what effect oceans have on climate.
- Know what causes the seasons.
- Know what kind of weather the 3 climate zones have.
- Know the effect on sea levels due to major glaciations.
- Know why we boiled water in the flask & balloon labs.
- Know the relationship between air volume & density.
- Know what causes air pressure.
- What are the people who study weather called?
- Know the factors that determine the climate of a region.
- Know the main theories for climate change.
- When did dinosaurs become extinct?
- How many degrees is the earth tilted on its axis?
- Know how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (C x 1.8 + 32 = F).
- Know all the vocabulary words in the chapter.
- Know how to calculate relative humidity.
- Know what “wind chill” is – look it up on the Internet.
- Know the names and relative locations of the major ocean currents (NOTE: There will be a diagram on the test with no names – you’ll have to identify EACH current! – look on page 57).
- Review the importance of the Sahara desert diagram on page 59.
- Read page 77 – there is a question that comes from the “Connections” page. What is a person called who studies ancient climates?
- Know the locations of climate zones by degrees latitude.
- Know what “sublimation” is and how to spell it.
- Review El Nino. Know what it is and its effect on world wide weather.
- Study the diagrams on page 57, 60, & 63
- Know that nitrogen comprises 78% of the earth’s atmosphere and that oxygen has about 21%