Speed – Chapter 11 – Quiz Questions #1
pp. 363 - 369
- Define DISPLACEMENT.
- Define SPEED.
- Define VELOCITY
- Which should you use in calculating how many gallons of gas you will need to make a road trip – distance or displacement? Give your answer and explain.
- Explain the concept of “frame of reference.”
- You are on a boat going down a river at 5 km/hr. The river is flowing in the same direction at 2 km/hr. What is the combined speed of the boat? What would the speed of the boat be if you reversed your direction of travel and went upstream?
- What is the formula for determining average speed?
- What is meant by the term “instantaneous speed?”
- What does the term “average speed” mean?
- You are in a car traveling forward at 35 miles/hr. It is raining. There is no wind. Why does the rain appear to be coming straight towards the windshield?
- List 3 units of measurement for … a) distance, b) time, c) speed, d) velocity
- Speed is dependent upon what two factors?
- What is the difference between SPEED and VELOCITY?
- CAR #1 is going 25 km/hr on the highway. CAR #2, going 50 km/hr just passedCar #1. a) If your frame of reference is car #1, what is the speed of car #2? b) If your frame of reference is car #2, what is the speed of car #1?
- A skateboard is heading towards a tree at 3 km/hr. Describe what you see from these frames of reference: a) the skateboard, b) bystander on the side of the path, c) the tree.