Exploring the Periodic Table – Chapters 4/5 – Quiz Questions #2
1. Why do elements within a group of the periodic table have similar chemical properties?
2. What happens to an atom that gains or loses electrons?
3. List the three main categories of elements and give an example of each.
4. What is a VALENCE ELECTRON?
5. What is an ION?
6. Which periodic table group forms positive ions?
7. Which periodic table group forms negative ions?
8. State the definition for a METAL.
9. State the definition for a NONMETAL.
10. State the definition for a SEMICONDUCTOR.
11. a) Which elements are DUCTILE and MALLEABLE?
b) What do these two words mean?
12. Explain why elements in a group on the periodic table have similar chemical properties.
13. Draw electron shell diagrams for the following elements:
a) Lithium b) Sodium
c) Carbon d) Oxygen
e) Fluorine f) Neon
g) Silicon h) Argon