Families of Elements – Chapters 4/5 – Quiz Questions #3
- What are the families of metals?
- What are two families of nonmetals?
- List 4 unusual facts about HYDROGEN.
- What is the name of Group 1 on the periodic table? _________________________
Give two characteristics of that family.
- What is the name of Group 2 on the periodic table? Give 4 characteristics that are
different from those of Group 1.
- Name 3 transition metals used in making jewelry.
a) b) c)
- Your classmate offers to give you a piece of sodium that he found on a hiking trip. What
is your response? Explain.
- Which elements are synthetic?
- What is unique about the valence numbers of elements in the family of Noble Gases?
- Why are atoms of Chlorine and Bromine very reactive?
- Classify the following elements as alkali, alkaline-earth, or transition metals based on
their positions in the periodic table:
a) Fe c) K
b) Sr d) Pt
- Draw valence diagrams for the following elements:
a) Li e) Be
b) B f) C
c) N g) O
d) F h) Ne