Density & Buoyancy – Chapter 7 – Quiz Questions #3
pp. 146 - 149
1. Explain how the young Earth separated into layers. Use the term density in your answer.
2. Draw a simplified diagram of Earth’s interior:
a. Indicate where on the diagram you would find aluminum & silicon & iron.
b. Using the following density values (Al-2.7, Si-2.3, Fe-7.9, H2O-1.0) to explain why
water floats on the earth’s surface.
c. How does the density of the mantle compare to densities of the crust & core?
3. What kind of rock makes up the ocean floor?
4. What kind of rock makes up the continents?
5. Can rocks float? Explain.
6. What might happen to a mountain that would cause the crust to float higher in the mantle?
7. What might happen to a glacier that would cause the crust to float higher in the mantle?
8. What process drives the lithospheric plates across the surface of the earth? Draw a diagram of this process.
9. What is seismic tomography?
10. How is a CAT scan like seismic tomography?