1. What is the translation for the Japanese word … “tsunami”?
2. Why are tsunamis barely noticeable out in the ocean, but can develop into huge waves when they reach the shore?
3. Why is it NOT correct to refer to a tsunami as a tidal wave?
4. How are tsunamis generated?
5. How fast can tsunami waves travel? How far can tsunamis travel?
6. Can a tsunami be generated by a landslide – either underwater or at the sea shore?
7. What is “DRAWBACK?”
8. Describe the Pacific Tsunami Warning System. What is a DART buoy?
9. If a Japanese city built a 4.5 meter high tsunami wall along their harbor, would this be sufficient protection against future tsunamis? ( Why or why not? )